Thursday, August 7, 2014

Elizabeth Peyton

Spent a brief moment this afternoon standing puzzled in the studio amidst my previous visit's mess. I then opened my book of Elizabeth Peyton's art and sat on the floor flipping through the pages, reading bits and pieces, staring here and there. I decided to take a walk down the street to the cafe I work at and order a sandwich and check out the book more thoroughly with a pen and my notebook. I jotted down ideas that occurred to me while reading the book, which now looking back, seem to be completely unrelated to the book:

-multiple eyes
-multiple features for a freaky affect
-double exposure mixed media
-relearn xerox transfer
-vintage postcard paintings
-small votive paintings

I'm drawn to how Elizabeth Peyton becomes transfixed by a certain person and must paint them over and over again. I'm drawn to how quick they seem yet how intense they are. They pack a punch. I love her drawings too and I think I need to reference her for future endeavors. I should print some of her images out and stick them in my scrapbook of delight (or book of shadows).



One of her obsessions is Kurt Cobain. Here are but 3 of many many many. I love them despite the fact that Kurt looks way too pretty in them.


amazing.



She also loves What's-his-face from Oasis. Liam Gallagher. How freakin' intense is this? Truly.

Sid.
Plus, she was born in Danbury and so was I. This motivates me for some reason. I bet we were both born in the same damn hospital! Perhaps the goddess of art who blessed her at her birth was also there for me when I was born! Yeah? Right?

No comments: